Balanced Rock
Yosemite journeys for mind, body, and spirit
Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Musings from Marcia

I'm currently reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. As I read it I'm frequently reminded of my experiences with being in the back country. Being completely engulfed in nature is the perfect environment to practice being totally present. That's true for me whether it's while carrying a 50 lb. pack or a relaxing day hike. All the cares of the outside world no longer matter. It's where I am able to slow down and stop thinking......notice the intense beauty around and within me.

As Eckhart Tolle says, "Beauty, love, creativity, joy and inner peace come from beyond the mind." The relaxation I've experienced while on these trips, whether it's for a weekend or for 10 days, has allowed me to truly understand what he's saying here. And once I experienced it, I now simply want more of it!

"The practice, the sense of stillness and peace will deepen. There is no end to its depth." "In this state, you feel your own presence with such intensity and such joy that all thinking, all emotions, your physical body, as well as the whole external world become relatively insignificant in comparison to it."

Isn't this what we all want? A deep sense of inner peace? To experience our own "presence" with intense joy? That's why I'm eagerly awaiting this next season with attending the Balanced Rock trips. To help me continue to cultivate practices that foster being very present....not only when I'm in nature, but also when I'm focused on the rest of my very full life. Bring 'em on!

written by Marcia Hodges
Board Member, Balanced Rock

No comments: