Balanced Rock
Yosemite journeys for mind, body, and spirit
Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Ruminating on the Gita


As part of the 200-hour Balanced Rock Yoga Alliance-certified Wild Yoga Teacher Training 2011-2012, we are reading the Bhagavad Gita. Below are some of my impressions on the text so far. –Shannon Sodano

Reading this ancient text has felt much more relevant and enjoyable than I expected, and so far has left me feeling grateful for past experiences plus those that I’m currently a part of that are assisting me in understanding its teachings first hand.

First of all, it feels important, when approaching the Gita, to have an open mind to some of the overarching beliefs that it is based upon, that many Eastern religions and philosophies are rooted in but may be foreign to our Western culture. A main idea is that we are God or the single, universal Self, wanting to experience ourselves fully through a physical and earthly experience. Another main point is that we are doing this over many lifetimes. Both of these fundamental concepts, that we are God and will live infinite lives, are avoided or just lightly touched upon in Western religions my recent ancestors took part in. As a young adult, my mother was exposed to the idea of reincarnation and took to it quickly. Even as we explored various Christian religions growing up, spirituality was rooted in the idea that life was eternal and that we could never do anything completely wrong; life is just about the experience. She seemed to uncover for herself and our family a teaching of the Gita that says “scriptures are of little use to the man who sees the Lord everywhere.” (2:46) I am grateful to have been born into these open beliefs.

Living and growing in our modern times, it’s hard not to assume that life is about the things that we accomplish and the actions we take. Even the Gita acknowledges that there is something to this. Like our body needs activity to stay healthy, our life needs action for us to gain experience and face the challenges we chose to sign up for in this lifetime. A difference, though, lies in what we are taking action for. Karma yoga suggests that we do things for the good of all. Many religions ask that we do things for God. Missing in the West is the idea that God is in all of us. This is a concept that I am seeking to experience further through my own spiritual practices, with our yoga group, and through meaningful connections to other people and to nature. If we are taking action for the universal good (God) this includes doing things for others as well as doing things for ourselves. It’s not an individual offering their time and energy to the common good while disregarding their own needs, nor is it someone taking care of themselves at the expense of others. I am grateful to have an affinity for this idea and way of living.

I am of the belief that we can also find guidance in this earthly experience by following our joy. This can lead us to take action in ways that please and support ourselves while also benefiting others. My monthly trips out to California are charged with lessons on yoga, food, lifestyle, spirituality, and community that have permeated every single day of my life between visits. I feel as though they are helping me to experience a balance of teaching and learning on a regular basis. It allows me to let go of the idea that I may need to go home and do something for someone else and focus more on learning for the joy of it and common good without being attached to the “fruit” of an action or the outcome. Instead, as the Gita encourages, I feel more equipped to lead by doing. I recognize the benefits that come from being around people for learning and for sharing. I am seeing firsthand how getting away from everyday life (with trips or meditation) help us recharge and experience peace. Then, from this place, our greatest purpose may be to go back to where the people are. To be a lighthouse with even a glimmer of peace and balance that others can see and inspire all of us not to withdraw from our action but to find peace in our actions. Being amidst our earthly actions is where we will feel the most rewarded. After all, as the Gita says, “Death means the attainment of heaven. Victory means the enjoyment of the earth.” I am grateful to be here

No comments: